Lion King came out 20 years ago. Best movie ever? [PART 1]








First off. I haven't started writing and I am already crying. 


simba drawing

Lion King is more than a movie for me. Way more than a movie. It's my family. It's something that marked me for life. Death and life. During a period though it also helped tremendously with an existential crisis I was going (and I am going) through.


So you know what I am doing right as I am writing these words down? I have the Lion King soundtrack on repeat on YouTube. I suggest you click on the video and let it play before you continue. 




I will not even go through the symbolism of the movie and the fact that it has a different meaning per age group. Life and death. Circle of life. Live your life and remember your history. So many strong messages from a "child's" movie.




So anyway I suggest we go move along with our list of why this movie is probably one of the best movies of all time.



1. The soundtrack



Let us start with the obvious and spectacular. What could you possibly want more? ALL the songs from the soundtrack are memorable and loved throughout time. Need I name "the circle of life" "can you feel the love tonight" and HAKUNA MATATA? Let me not I'm only mentioning three out of all the soundtrack which I believe is utterly spectacular. How could it not be?


I mean it was Hans Zimmer

hans zimmer


AND ELTON FUCKING JOHN!

elton john



How could it possibly not be good? Actually not good. DIVINE.



2. Mufasa's death



DO YOU KNOW HOW OLD I WAS IN 1994 DISNEY?

I WAS 6 YEARS OLD!

AND I SAW THAT!


mufasa's death

mufasa's death

mufasa's death

mufasa's death


This scene made me cry so hard as a kid. I was just finding out that death is an issue. It made my tiny heart go crazy. I will never forget that scene. Now I'll stop. Forgive me. I have to do something.


why? WHY?

why? WHY?

why? WHY?

why? WHY?

why? WHY?

I'm not feeling any better. Disney ripped my tiny soul off that day.



3. Zazu 



The one and only.


zazu

zazu

Played by the amazing Rowan Atkinson!


rowan atkinson gif mr bean


4. Mufasa Vader


I' m pretty much sure than everyone knows nowadays that Mufasa is also Darth Vader. We owe that to James Earl Jones.


James earl jones


Thank you so much Mr Jones. You were a father figure to me for at least two of your roles!



5. SCAR

Is there any other more epic Disney Villain? Perhaps only Jafar manages to be on the same place. He is the epitome of a villain. Hamlet style.


scar

scar

scar

Played by the epic Jeremy Irons. 

That concludes the first part of the Lion king list. There will be one more or even two to follow. There are so much to write about this movie that maybe eve 3 parts are not enough!



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Top